In a late night session, Republicans in Texas come together for a long night of debate regarding the Texas Republican Party platform. The main issue, Immigration. For several days, the Platform Committee has been working to create a platform that addresses issues we face today, listening to testimony on several topics, especially the highly volatile plank on immigration.
Tonight, we gathered to debate the platform planks in our Senate Caucus, and position the Republican Party in a way that attracts those Conservative Hispanics who currently reside in the Democrat Party, hesitant to cross the line and join us in the Republican Party. Many have said that our Party’s immigration planks were written with spite and hatred for immigrants. Democrats have used our platform against us as a means to describe our hatred for Hispanics and immigrants, saying that we don’t care about immigrants.
But, after several hours of debate, Texas Republicans voted unanimously to adopt a new plank, that provides solutions to the long-time question, “What do we do with the 11-20 Million Illegal immigrants living in America today?” Before tonight, our platform was short on solutions regarding immigration. We did have to overcome objections and answer tough questions from undecided Democrats, leery to “jump ship.”
Now, we have the “Texas Solution,” which addresses the most critical component of Immigration, those who are here to work, and are escaping the intolerable conditions in their country. As in the past, our solutions allowed those who wanted to come here to work, an opportunity to gain access to this country by applying for and qualifying to participate in a guest worker program.
Line 4, of the newly approved Texas GOP Platform states,
- Create an Effective and Efficient Temporary Worker Program – A national Temporary Worker Program should be implemented to bring skilled and unskilled workers into the United States for temporary periods of time when no U.S. workers are currently available. The program should also require:
- Self-funding through participation fees and fines;
- Applicants must pass a full criminal background check;
- Applicants with prior immigration violations would only qualify for the program if they paid the appropriate fines;
- Applicants and/or Employers must prove that they can afford and/or secure private health insurance;
- Applicants must waive any and all rights to apply for financial assistance from any public entitlement programs;
- Applicant must show a proficiency in the English language and complete an American civic class;
- Temporary Workers would only be able to work for employers that deduct and match payroll taxes;
- All participants would be issued an individual Temporary-Worker Biometric Identification Card that tracks all address changes and both civil and criminal court appearances as a defendant.
In addition, the new platform removes the requirement to end birthright citizenship, and instead, only suggests to clarify Section 1 of the 14th Amendment. We created additional verbiage that asks for a modernized Social Security Card, to eliminate the fraud and abuse of this antiquated document and suggested to use a contemporary anti-counterfeit technology to create a more secure system.
After heated, but civil debate on this controversial issue, a motion was made to call the question and vote for the new platform as presented. In a loud and forceful fashion, we Texas Republicans made a statement. No longer will the Democrat Party have ownership of the Hispanic community, and no longer will we accept a passive approach to building our Party through Hispanic inclusion.
Let it be known to all residents in Texas and across this nation. The Republican Party is the Party for Conservtive Hispanics. Our doors are wide open, and our leadership embraces the Hispanic future in Texas. Hispanic Republican Auxiliaries like GOPisForMe, and the Texas Federation of Hispanic Republicans have been working for years for this moment, and we are proud to announce, a new era of Republicanism has been ushered in.
History was made tonight, and in my opinion, the future of the Republican Party was secured. I am honored to be a member of this great Republican Party, and I look forward to building it with fellow Conservative Hispanics who value Life, Liberty and Family values. Come over and test the waters…we are officially standing at the door with open arms.